Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Would Jesus Like Me?

"Penny began to wonder if Christianity, were it a person, might in fact like her" (Donald Miller in Blue Like Jazz).

Those words from Miller, as I listened to them on audio CD driving in Yukon the other day, struck me. I'm the kind of person who likes to think that everybody likes me. It's not a "what's not to like" attitude. I know there is plenty about me to not like, I'm just optimistic that everybody is going to overlook my faults and like me anyway. That's what my heart tells me. My brain knows different.

But would Jesus like me if he were here? If we struck up a conversation in line at Starbucks, would he ask me to sit at his table because he wanted to know me better? He liked the woman in Simon's house that nobody else liked. He liked the woman at the well and there were apparently a number of former husbands who didn't like her. He liked Zacchaeus when nobody else did. The answer is "yes!" Jesus would like me, but it's because of who he is rather that what we have in common or how cool I am.

Penny was wondering, though, if Christianity were a person, would it like her. Though it may be difficult to understand, Christianity is a person today – or a group of people. The church is the Body of Christ, and we want to be as much like Jesus as we can possibly be; and that means that we will like you. If we knew where you lived, we would come to your house; but it's more likely that you know where we live. Come for a visit. Maybe we'll go to Starbucks later. That's Life at Work.

No comments: