Friday, September 12, 2003

The article appearing in the South Yukon Bulletin this week:

I’m wearing red, white, and blue as I write this down. It’s 9/11 and 9:23 A.M. Two years ago today I got a call here at the office from JeannaLynn saying that a plane had crashed into one of the towers of the World Trade Center. I quickly got one of the televisions we have and set it up in the office area. What we saw was unbelievable! How in the world could a pilot make such a huge mistake?
Then it happened again. I get goose bumps on my arms, tears in my eyes, and a lump in my throat when I think about watching the live video of the second plane crashing into the second tower. My first thought was, “Oh, no! This was not a mistake!”
As the drama continued in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania I remember vividly a variety of emotions. I remember tremendous sadness at the incredible loss of life; both of those who had no idea they were in danger, and those who rushed headlong into danger to save others.
I remember an empty hopelessness. It crushes the heart to want to do something - to know you’ve got to do something - but don’t have a clue as to what to do.
I remember a raging anger. Who could do such a thing? How could anyone deliberately drive a commercial aircraft through a heavily populated business center? How evil would someone have to be to do that? What kind of hate compels a man to kill thousands of innocent strangers? The more I came up with no answers to those questions, the angrier I became.
I remember a swelling pride in our own people. The heroes that emerged from common people, people just like you and me, who risked life and gave it, to save others, caused all of us to beam with admiration.
I remember a national unity that help me understand my part in helping. Sending money, giving blood, and standing hand-in-hand in our auditorium with other people from Yukon, praying desperately for God’s intervention, were our contributions to the effort.
I remember a longing for justice - a longing I still have today. My prayer is that God will save through Christ those who assisted in the attack on the innocent two years ago today. I also pray that if they if they don’t repent, God will punish them - severely.
“Vengeance is mine. I will repay,” says the Lord.
Amen.

No comments: