Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bucket List of Jesus: Close to God

"My God, My God! Why have you forsaken me?"

Those are the words of David, according to tradition. They are the beginning of a cry for help (Psalm 22:1). They are also the words of Jesus according to Matthew and Mark (Matt. 27:46; Mk. 15:34).

David begged for God to come close. "Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help," he cried (Ps 22:11). Though others were gambling for his clothes before he was even dead, David pleaded, "But you, O LORD, be not far off; O my Strength, come quickly to help me" (Ps 22:19).

There was a crowd at the cross. There were Roman soldiers, Jewish leaders, criminals, male and female friends, and a sorrowful mother there. Yet with all the onlookers, Jesus felt alone. He felt forsaken by God, and he longed to be close to God again.

"Be close to God." One more item on the Bucket List of Jesus.

Wednesday night, Rusty Tugman from the Alameda Church of Christ in Norman will help us understand this Bucket List item. I hope you'll be there! That's Life at Work!

No comments: