Monday, July 21, 2008

The Bucket List of Jesus – Confidently Trust God

In a recent Wednesday night class, we wrote down some words that came to mind when we thought about dying. I wrote, "Relief, release, and freedom. I'm not afraid of dying; though I do fear the process."

I do believe that death means something better for me than what I have here. I'm not rushing the inevitable, but I have an expectation of great reward. I confidently say with the apostle, "I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day" (2 Tim 1:12). I have given up any desire to control my spiritual destiny. I have fully entrusted that to God. What else could I do, after all?

Learning to trust God for what comes after your last breath is a lesson you learn from hearing the words of Jesus on the cross. "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit," Jesus declared just before he "breathed his last" (Luke 23:46). He didn't say that simply for himself. He said it so that the generations of faithful for the remaining centuries could know that they can have that same confidence! That's Life at Work!

No comments: