Thursday, April 10, 2008

This Is Huge (Bigger)

This is huge! What is it? It is the sin that gives us the most trouble. It is the temptation with which we constantly struggle. It is the most frequent failure, lost battle, step into the shadows, and missing of the mark. I don't know that the Hebrew writer was thinking specifically or generically, but it is the "sin that easily entangles" (Hebrews 12:1).

The huge temptation is different for me in regard to the different roles I play. As a man, I struggle with keeping my eyes off of the impure images everywhere around me and keeping my mind out of the gutter. As a husband I realize I'll fight with my wife much more quickly that I would anyone else. As a dad, sometimes I veg out having given my energy to everybody else.

So what it is for you? What is it for you in your various roles? Certainly, Christians are forgiven because there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1). We live in a relationship with God in which our sins are not counted against us. Our sins are forgiven. Our transgressions are covered (Romans 4:6-8).

But it is God's forgiveness, his Amazing Grace that compels us to put these sins to death. Since we died to sin, we must keep killing it whenever it resurrects. We have risen to walk a new life. We offer ourselves as living sacrifices because of God's mercy. We don't want to return to sin like a dog returns to his vomit! No way! We want to reduce this huge sin to nothing!

So let's expose it! Let's get it out on the table! Let's examine its power in our lives. Let's admit its presence. Let's agree with God that it is wrong and destructive. Let's agree with each other that we hate it. Let's make ourselves accountable to each other. Let's throw it off like an old coat so that we can run with perseverance the race marked out for us! That's Life at Work!

Help me out! Send an email listing what is huge in your life or what you recognize in huge in the lives of the people you know. I promise, I'll take it as an observation, not a confession. Email what's huge to thisishuge@southyukon.org. When we know the enemy, and identify his schemes, we can resist him so that he runs away!

No comments: