Monday, September 18, 2006

If I Lost Everything

Lindsay Lohan was in Heathrow Airport and discovered that her handbag with jewelry and asthma medicine in it disappeared.  Apparently, it was recovered later, and according to some reports, the jewelry which was worth a million dollars was still in the bag with the medicine.  Imagine her happiness at the return of her bag.

If I lost everything I had right now, I would feel devastated.  But then, if somehow everything that I lost was returned to me, I would be incredibly happy.  Since that is true, why can’t I be happy with what I’ve got?  Why would I have to lose it, and then get it back, to be content with what I possess?

At a time in his life when his possessions were few, Paul wrote to some friends who had wanted to help him earlier, but had been unable.  When they were able to help him, he thanked them and taught them:

“I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it.  I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength” (Phil 4:10-13).

Don’t live in jealousy or lust for what you don’t have.  If you lost everything you owned, you would be happy if you got it back.  So be happy with what you have today.  That’s Life at Work!

No comments: