Tuesday, September 12, 2006

No Peer Pressure

A 104 year old lady celebrating her birthday was being interviewed by a TV reporter for local airing. He asked her, “What’s the best thing about being one hundred and four?”

This was an easy question. “No peer pressure,” she replied.

I suppose she’s right, but the rest of us youngsters do experience peer pressure even in adulthood. That’s why it is vital that we keep reminding ourselves of the principle of passages like these:

“He who walks with the wise grows wise,
but a companion of fools suffers harm” (Proverbs 13:20).

“I am a friend to all who fear you,
to all who follow your precepts” (Psalms 119:63)

As I walk with those who avoid immorality, alcohol and drug abuse, godless chatter, and dishonesty, I create in my life greater strength and motivation to avoid them, too. As I befriend those who respect their marriages and spouses, who think more about others than they do themselves, who speak in ways that build up instead of tear down, I will conform to that kind of goodness. That’s Life at Work!

No comments: