Thursday, June 01, 2006

God Has Spoken

“If we are going to have answers for the twentieth century world, we must not only have a God who exists, be we must have a God who has spoken” (Francis A. Schaeffer).

I read that first from the preacher’s perspective. It’s likely that you didn’t. I read it as if someone has asked me a question. I know that if I have any answer to offer, I must go to God’s word to offer the answer from heaven.

But not everyone asks the preacher. And often, the preacher has questions himself about God and heavenly things related to him. It’s not enough at the time of questioning to know that God exists. If I am going to find the true answer to my most significant questions, I’ve got to know that God has spoken and that his truth is found in scripture.

The writer of Hebrews confirms, “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him” (Hebrews 11:6). I believe that careful contemplation of our universe can direct an individual toward belief in the existence of God and even the truth that he rewards those who seek him. However, to know how to seek him, we must have a God who has spoken. He has spoken. He has the answers for you and for me. That’s Life at Work!

No comments: