Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Golden Rule

Sometimes my understanding of scripture is impacted by my selfishness.  What did Jesus mean when he said, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened” (Matt 7:7-8)?  I have discovered that it’s not about me and what I would petition for, seek out, and knock to enquire about.  Matthew connects this saying of Jesus with teaching about God’s goodness as a Father, and then he commands that we do to others as we would have them do to us.  That sums up the Law and the Prophets.

God gives us what we need when we ask, seek, and knock.  Since God is that way, shouldn’t we be that way.  We are so glad that God doesn’t give us stones and snakes when we are seeking bread and fish.  If he gives me good things, how could I, as his child, not give good things to people when they ask me?

There are two questions to consider, then, when someone asks me for something.  First, would I be like God if I refused this request?  Second, how would I want them to respond if the tables were turned?

Do to others as you would want them to do to you.  That’s Life at Work!

No comments: