Friday, June 16, 2006

You Can Call Me....

The day after Henry Kissinger was nominated as secretary of state in the early 1970’s, he held a news conference. One of the newsmen asked this final question: “Do you prefer being called ‘Mr. Secretary or ‘Dr. Secretary’?”

“I don’t stand on protocol,” Kissinger said without a flinch. “If you will call me ‘Excellency,’ that will be okay.”

I doubt anybody every addressed him “Excellency,” except in jest, perhaps. Nobody has ever addressed me that way. But I, along with other forgiven faithful folks, do have several names or designations that are important to us.

“Greater love has no one than this that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command” (John 15:13-15; NIV)

“However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name” (1 Peter 4:16).

“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!” (1 John 3:1)

Friends, Christians, and Children of God! Notice that no follower is called those things because of his own greatness. Everything we are is by God’s grace. Obey him. Praise Him. Thank him for his wonderful love! That’s Life at Work!

No comments: